USEFUL feedback includes things like:
- 1. This is really going to hurt you if you put it out.
- I love it and don’t change a thing. Just put it out.
- I think you could make it better by …
- You should really talk to …
UNUSEFUL feedback includes:
- You are an idiot.
- Why did you want to do something like this?
Number 2 could be a valid clarification question, but you need to follow up with a specific insight that adds real value.
Specifics are useful. General is less useful.
The bottom-line is …
- If you can make something better, tat’s useful.
- If you can’t, it’s not useful to just say it sucks.
- If the project is already as good as it can be, you can help in getting the person off their butt and into action.
- If it isn’t maybe you can refer them to someone who can help make it better.
Remember, YOU have no clue whether their idea will work or not. You may have experience and you certainly have your own perspective, but the world’s response is NOT predictable.